How to assess an estate for inheritance tax and declare its value: if inheritance tax is due or full details are needed

You must declare the value of the estate to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) by completing form IHT400.

You must submit the form within 12 months of the person’s death.

You may have to pay a penalty if you miss the deadline.

Obtain accurate assessments

You will need to provide accurate assessments when filling out the form.

You can get any property or land appraised by a real estate agent or land surveyor.

You can also get a professional appraisal for anything over £ 1,500.

You can estimate the value of cheaper assets, such as ordinary household items and personal items such as furniture, electrical appliances, paintings, or jewelry.

Declare the value of the estate by completing form IHT400

You must download and complete the IHT400 form. Send it to the address indicated on the form.

You can read tips on how to complete the IHT400 form.

You can ask HMRC to determine the amount of inheritance tax owed if you complete the form without the help of a probate professional, such as a lawyer. You can do this when you fill out the form.

If you need help filling out the form

Contact HMRCThe Inheritance Tax Hotline to help you complete the IHT400 form.

How to modify a form after its submission

You must complete a corrective account form and send it to HMRC if you need to make any changes to the information you have already submitted.

Pay inheritance tax

You must pay the inheritance tax before the end of the sixth month following the person’s death. For example, if the person died in January, you must pay the inheritance tax by July 31.

You can pay in annual installments on some things that may take a long time to sell, such as a house.

You will need to obtain an Inheritance Tax Reference Number from HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) at least 3 weeks before paying any tax.

When can you apply for probate

Once you have sent your completed IHT400 form to HMRC, you must wait 20 working days before you can apply for approval.

Comments are closed.